2010年7月20日星期二

My battery dying did not cause any serious damage

Once in the air a long flight, the operator informs the passengers that "the use of electronic devices and is not prohibited." To pass the time, I decided to take my laptop to finish some work. Normally, I like to use flights to catch up on some sleep, but today I felt very tired. On the basis of the battery on my laptop, which was fully charged the night before, I work to catch up with some unfinished business. In the midst of one of my many thoughts, something far more tragic than a drop in the oxygen mask will ... or at least more tragic in that moment ... my laptop battery dies.

My first reaction was to look around for the nearest exit, only to remember I'm on a plane and the planes do not have outlets. I try to start the system with the hope that it was a mistake of some sort, but no luck. What now? I've been staring at a blank screen with a laptop without power. As I can navigate through the cabin, I replacement laptop battery realize that there are many other entrepreneurs who are working on their laptops. One man in particular, is using a similar laptop - a model close to the thing without being able to sit in front of me. Why the battery lasted more than mine? There is no doubt that we have the same brand of battery, and I'm pretty sure mine is practically new. I stand there for a moment looking around with a puzzled and confused look on his face. Now I am left to pay the remainder of the flight to think about how it could have been avoided.

Of course I realize that was not the end of the world. My battery drain caused no serious damage. However, I remembered an important lesson. Always be prepared! You never know what might happen next, so it's always good to have some kind of backup plan. When it comes to batteries, the batteries are not all alike. Some batteries last longer than others. I have some friends who like to store extra batteries in your fridge. I personally find this a bit extreme and silly, but say that their batteries last longer. I do not know if this type of storage really helps a long battery life, but I do know this. Life is unexpected and so are the electronics. Next time, if you have extra batteries or not, I will do my best to be better prepared.